Responsible mining is essential to the sustainable growth of our societies. And coal still has a significant role to play in the economy through its multiple uses as a source of energy for electricity generation, steel and cement manufacturing, carbon fibre, mobile phones and even household use. Therefore, it was important to create an internationally recognised standard for the coal mining industry allowing both the producers and the buyers of coal to have confidence and manage the risks in their supply chains.
Our purpose is to promote the continuous improvement in the mining and sourcing of coal for the benefit of all people impacted by the industry, workers and coal mining communities.
How we work
- We increase the accountability and participation of all stakeholders in the initiative.
- We ensure the areas of implementation of the Bettercoal Code remain relevant.
- We build and maintain partnerships in key coal producing countries through effective engagement.
- We work in close collaboration with all stakeholders building partnerships.
- We uphold high quality standards around disclosure of information in the coal sector.